Friday, July 14, 2006

More comments on Doctors

After reading Lam's not very inspiring post on doctors in Singapore, I wanna add some comments about my encounter with the doctors here as well.

I've been sick for 7 days now, got a very bad sore throat, cough, blocked nose (due to over production of phlegm?) and I think I've just lost my voice... I went to see the doctor yesterday, complaining the above. The doctor's response goes something like this, "6 days of flu isnt very long, flus usually takes 2 weeks to recover, there isnt any secondary bacterial infection, so you don't need antibiotics, just go to the pharmacy and buy flu tablets, you should be fine." She then asked if I could take paracetemol and I said I'll try to avoid taking it and again her response was "paracetemol is a harmless drug, in fact its good to take paracetemol if you're sick"

Imagine the above quotes in a nonchalant manner, how I miss my family doctor back home. If I've gone to see him after 7 days of flu, I'm pretty sure he'll be more sympathetic about it compared to the doctor I've seen here. Sure, they might tell me the same thing, but the same words spoken in a different tone meant a world of difference, don't you think?

Now I understand why doctors & health professionals need to take "communication" lessons, obviously the "communication" lessons here aren't very helpful at all. I promise I'll pay more attention in class next semester during my "communication" lessons. I don't wanna be one of those unsympathetic, unfeeling health workers out there!

3 comments:

LaM said...

there's an expected flu epidemic in adelaide anyway...so they don't really...have anything they can do.

virus can be a bug (pun), anyway, there's no drug against virus...so all u can do is...symptom relieve.

Liyan said...

well at least they can be sympathetic about it! and tell me things I can do to relieve the PAIN i'm going thru!

Xiaohui said...

haha yup. GPs are ALOT MORE PR-ish.

they know how to make u feel like everything will be fine.

but for doctors in hospitals, errr i can't say the same. rem i told u abt the doctor at S*H who told my mom she's 'incurable' in a nonchalant manner too.

KNN LA.
he shud just ROT and wither away.

private hospital rawks. expensive yes, but i dun mind paying for better quality services and dedication from doctors too.