Friday, May 25, 2007

TGIF!!

*this is a long post, proceed at your own risk!*

Oh finally... Placement is really draining me. I bring work back home to do everyday, wake up early everyday and sleep late everyday. I feel like my petrol has all run dry. Seriously. My previous placements had never felt like that.

1st placement: APB - Work was hard, but it was physically demanding more than anything else. Didn't really have to use my brain (much) and I never had to bring work home to complete. Never tested on what I think/feel about an activity, exercise.

2nd placement: DoH, SA - Used quite a bit of brain work everyday at work. Supervisor does ask questions about my opinions/understanding of issues and activities. The work environment was not very stressful and I never had to bring work home to do! (Well, except for the occasional preparation for presentations). I could even do my uni stuff at work! That is, if I've completed my actual work at the office.. heh...

Current placement: Stressful, always have to be alert, constantly thinking, making intelligent guesses (at least I think they're intelligent! :P) Always tested for accuracy for things I've done and it feels like everyday is an examination.

Of course I can understand the rationale behind such strict measures for students like us. Working in the hospital environment, we have to be careful with what we do. This I mean every action/plan we choose has to be for the best interest of the person we're caring for and most importantly, it must be evidence-based best practice.

I'm just really really glad its Friday, and no work for 2 days! Plus, next week there's a public holiday!!!

Anyway, something really outta point. I have to tell everyone the silly things that I've been telling my supervisors. No wonder they think I'm stupid! Haha!

Supervisors: So why do you think diabetic patients take fructose as an artificial sweetener? Whats the difference between sucrose (normal sugar) and fructose? Is it okay to use fructose?

Me: Er... sucrose is glucose + fructose, while fructose is just fructose.....

Supervisors: Eh? You studied food science before right, so this should be really easy for you...

Me: Er... Fructose goes through the pentose phosphate pathway to provide us with energy...

Supervisors: Patients won't understand you...

Another student: Fructose is sweeter, natural...

Me: Oh yah! Sweeter! Means we can use lesser fructose and less effect on blood glucose level!
Supervisors: *Shake heads and sigh*

Whoops... I should really shut up and not tell people that I studied food science. Otherwise everyone will think all food science students know nothing. Which REALLY isn't true! I bet my food science classmates knew the answer the moment they saw the question. Hur hur...

Okay, tired of typing. More updates on "the stupid things Liyan said at work" next time!

No comments: