Monday, June 09, 2008

The J-shape curve

I'm sick again. URTI (upper respiratory tract infection) again...

They tell me that exercise follows a J-shaped curve...


Moderate amounts of exercise results in higher level of immune function, but excessive exercise leads to immune suppression and lowers immune function... leading to increased risk of infections such as urti.

For those who are interested, please read on...

Exercise results in the formation of ROS (reactive oxygen species) which increases the oxidative stress of our bodies. excessive exercise exposes our body to these ROS which injures our cells and increases levels of cytokines... leading to poor immune function.

I think that's what I'm suffering from now. Poor immune function... That explains why I'm always sick. I should exercise less? But then I'll put on weight leh... HOW?

Dilemma...

I'll be spending another day sleeping at home tmr... 2 days of MC. I hope my immune function goes back to normal :P

No comments: