Saturday, October 01, 2005

Lost In Thought

It is one of those days when I've got loads of stuff going through my head and I need to organise my thoughts into sentences that people can comprehend.

First of all, Happy Childeren's Day to all the inner child in us. There's this McDonald's advertisement that is showing here which I found quite interesting but my girl friends found absolutely disgusting. The advertisement shows children coming out of adults from their tummies as if there was a door at their rib cage. Then these children that climbed out of the adult went to McDonald's for food. Well, the gist of this advertisement was to convey the message that there's an inner child in everyone of us. The slogan of the ad was something like "Come to McDonald's and discover something new everyday". Doesnt the ad sound innovative? My girl friends were totally grossed out by the scene where children start climbing out of the adults' stomach. It sounds gross, but seriously, it doesnt look gross at all. Just image a child climbing out of a door, no blood whatsoeva, I don't understand those girls... Anyway, Happy Children's Day!!!

Shiling came back from Brisbane last night on a wheelchair. Apparently she tore her ACL (anterior crusade? ligament) during the Uni games and it was a bad tear. ACL is quite common among female athletes and its quite a tricky injury cos there's pretty much nothing the doctor can do to fix the problem. The doc can only prescribe painkillers to help ease the pain, but Shiling's allergy to them and so she can't take any painkillers. Her threshold for pain amazes me. I remember back in J2 when Lixuan tore the ACLs in both her legs she was going through pure torture as well. But lucky for her painkillers was there to help ease the pain. For Shiling, I can't imagine the pain she's suffering. Shiling wants to go back to SGP for treatment ASAP, and I understand why she's longing to go back. When you're sick/injured, you'll naturally want to be with your family and loved ones simply cos the comfort you get just by seeing them can ease the pain a million times. Its a long wkend here coz Monday is a public holiday so she can only get the procedures done earliest by Tuesday and hopefully she can get back by this week. I hope the school allows her to go back, afterall ACL is a very common injury among athletes, I wonder if that's a valid reason to return home.

I feel like crap ever since I learnt about her injury. Everyone's fussing over her and treating her like some baby. "Are you thirsty? Are you hungry? Do you wanna sit? Do you need me to stay over and accompany you?......." Its not that I'm not sympathetic about her situation, I just feel that 6 girls fussing over 1 girl isnt the most effective way of looking after her. All the girls offered to stay over to accompany her and when I didnt offer to do so, they looked at me as if I was some unfeeling person. When I didn't fuss over her and just sat there quietly doing whatever I thought was most appropriate, they gave me those stares again. I don't know if I'm being over sensitive but I can feel that they are judging me. Its not that I don't care about her, I do, and I know she doesn't want people to treat her like she's handicapped. And when I don't act all girly with her doesn't mean I'm not sympathetic. I'm just not a girly person and I can't help it. My understanding of Shiling is that she's a very strong and independent girl, treating her like a handicap is the last thing she needs. What I worry most is whether she can play sports at a competitive level. Coz from what I learnt from Lixuan's incident was that if she does not go for the surgery, she won't be able to play competively anymore. And if she does opt for surgery, she won't be able to walk/run for 6 months? Either way the reality of this injury is gonna be harsh on her. I feel sad for her coz losing the ability to play competitive sports is gonna affect her alot.

And Lam wasn't at all helpful when he called last night. I told him about Shiling and he gave me a whole load of crap on ACL. I know abit about it too coz I'm a sports person too, oh well, he did give some helpful advice, but I doubt Shiling will heed any of those advice given. Anyhow, thanks Lam. Don't mean to offend you in any way. Just need to vent my frustration.

According to Amanda (the frisbee gal who came back with Shiling) many people were injured during the Uni games. Shane broke his rib or something, but he continued to play and the next day he injured his knee. The adrenaline rush does all sorts of weird things to people. Luckily everyone else suffered only small injuries like bruises and scratches. I hope Mike didn't suffer too much injuries.

No comments: